Monday, September 22, 2008

update on Dad

Hello all-

First and foremost I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers throughout this time. I know the prayers have worked and God is offering us so many new hopes. We have seen my dad for the past few days and each day he seems to be better.

He is still in hospice care and some people have said that patients do get better before the end but I am just looking at it as he is more responsive and actually talking at times. I haven't heard his voice in over a year and that alone is a blessing.

He is making eye contact and when he does look, at times he smiles and laughs. He is making comments here and there saying, "Oh God. or even saying, "Oh shit." haha We all just laughed. My sisters and I feed him ice cream and Julie brought him a beer. He liked the beer. I asked him if he liked it and he said, "Yeah!". I also asked him if I was his favorite and he said, "Yeah!"

So, the report is still that he is terminally sick with pulmonary embelisms (sp?) and one could burst at any time. He is still in hospice care for up to 6 months. He is currently off all of his medications and just trying to keep him comfortable. He is eating more which is so good to see. When people have asked me how he is I am not sure what to say. Yes, he is dying but he is better in responding and constantly holding my hand or caressing my face.

That in all has been the best! I hope this doesn't sound rude to anyone, but once you have lost the touch of your dad or mom, nothing is better than getting that back again just one more time. The girls have really been all over him. Kissing on him as he makes the kissing noise. It has been such a blessing.

We are heading back up there in a bit so hopefully I will have more good news to post. It has been hard but you know, it has been so great spending this time with him.

Thanks again for all of your prayer and keep it up! We are so grateful for each of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're getting this time with him, and that you're able to recapture some of those moments you've had before with him. I know how important it is for your family to have him "back", even if it's in small moments at a time. Love you and thinking of you/praying for your family constantly!